Your BackgroundRequirements to be qualified for the Diesel Maintenance Technician position:
- 18 months or more experience as a diesel technician/mechanic.
- An associate's degree in diesel technology OR equivalent experience preferred.
- Thorough and proven knowledge of diesel engines and diesel engine repair.
- Competency with computers.
- Strong communication skills.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record.
- Qualification to perform DOT inspections, or the ability to become qualified quickly.
- ASE certification is preferred.
- Other OEM training is a plus (Volvo, International).
- A strong work ethic and exceptional attention to detail.
- A commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
The RoleAs a Diesel Maintenance Technician, you will be responsible for preventive maintenance, federal DOT inspections, troubleshooting and repairing diesel engines, alignments, suspension, hydraulics, transmissions and electrical systems. This will include:
- Diagnosing failures of vehicles and disassembling, repairing and reassembling parts as necessary.
- Inspecting, testing and listening to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, chassis charts and pressure gauges.
- Performing routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Inspecting brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings and other vital parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Adjusting and relining brakes, aligning wheels, tightening bolts and screws, and reassembling equipment.
- Inspecting, repairing, and maintaining automotive and mechanical equipment and machinery such as pumps and compressors.
- Raising trucks, buses and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Attaching test instruments to equipment and reading dials and gauges to diagnose malfunctions.
- Filling out and submitting all required documents in an accurate and timely manner on a company-provided iPad.
Video: At Dickinson Fleet Services, we keep our customers' fleets moving. In fact, that's what we're all about. Dickinson Fleet Services offers the industry's best preventive maintenance service. You will play a key role in delivering on that promise.
Your AdvantagesRewards and recognition
Your hard work and enthusiasm will not go unnoticed or unrewarded. When you become a member of our team, we promise to treat you with respect while providing you with the opportunity to earn competitive compensation and grow professionally.
In addition to a competitive hourly wage, we offer a strong benefits package that includes health, dental and vision coverage available after a waiting period, life insurance paid for by the company, short term disability insurance paid for by the company, available long term insurance, a 401(k) after 90 days permanent employment, paid vacation and paid holidays.
Fair and family oriented
Dickinson Fleet Services is family owned and operated. We realize that our success depends upon attracting and retaining the very best talent in the business. That's why we've created a culture based on strong values, in which everyone can grow and prosper.
We'll make sure you keep your skills sharp with initial training (one week at our Indianapolis headquarters and one week shadowing a peer) and ongoing training. In addition, a strong performer could pursue advancement to a Lead or Manager role, or even move into Sales or other departments.
Dedication to quality and service
Twenty years ago the owners of DFS set out to build a company that provides the highest level of quality and customer service in fleet management. Every one of our 600+ employees knows that quality and customer service are our passion. We work 24/7 to exceed expectations through our focus on customers, employees and safety.
Pictured: Since 1997, Dickinson Fleet Services has grown from a three-shop company to the largest independent mobile fleet maintenance company in the country. Our clients include some of the nation's largest fleet operators.
Keys to SuccessIt will be a vital part of your role as a Diesel Maintenance Technician to provide outstanding customer service and maintain effective working relationships with customers, supervisors and co-workers. We're looking for self-starters who can work independently and hold themselves to high standards. In addition, to excel in this role you will have:
- A safety mindset.
- Pride in doing the job right.
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- A desire to improve your skills and grow professionally.